A good social media strategist needs to be able to fulfil certain core responsibilities and essential skills that are required for the position. Their goal is to build a comprehensive social media strategy to increase the web traffic and awareness of your brand and ultimately ensure that the company’s web presence is aligned with their marketing strategies.
If you are looking to add a social media strategist to your team the following tips will help you choose the most effective candidate.
1. Good Social Media Strategists Must Fulfill The Following Requirements
- Look for someone who has proven work experience as a strategist or manager in social media marketing. A degree in marketing or any relevant field will be an added bonus.
- Experience is more important than qualifications, so look for someone with hands-on experience in using social media for brand awareness in a social marketing agency.
- Your candidate needs to have a firm understanding of SEO and web traffic metrics.
- Experience in identifying target audience preferences and strategizing content accordingly.
- Must have knowledge and experience of web designing and publishing
- A strong candidate should have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
2. Good Social Media Strategists Must Be Able To Shoulder These Responsibilities
- They must be able to design the social media strategies needed in order to achieve marketing targets.
- They should be able to manage, create, organize and get published high quality and original content.
- The administration of all social media accounts is their responsibility. Ensuring that the content in them is up to date also needs to be done effectively
- They need to collaborate with writers and designers to ensure that the content created is informative and appealing.
- Their ability to seamlessly collaborate with marketing and product development teams is important in order to create a social buzz when new products are launched.
- Strategists are expected to facilitate all communications including responses to queries, and reviews between the client and the company.
- Weekly and monthly reports on web traffic and ROI need to be generated.
- They need to be able to suggest content optimization strategies after monitoring SEO and user engagement.
- Communication with industry professionals via social media to build strong networks is also necessary.
- The strategist must also train members of the team to integrate and maintain a cohesive strategy.
- Must be aware of current trends in digital marketing and technologies as well as social media best practices.
- They need to be comfortable working in environments that are budget and ROI driven.
- They must have a strong grasp of SEO, website analytics, website design and UI, landing pages, ROI analysis, PPC campaigns, content development, domain research ad selection.
- Must integrate PR initiatives with social media marketing
- Strong knowledge of the development of blogs, articles, tweets, and how to cross-promote across the social web.
3. Good Social Media Strategists Must Have These Skills
A fundamental skill for any person involved in social media strategy is writing. Strategists need writing skills at various stages, from filling up a profile description to crafting tweets and Facebook posts to driving engagement and clicks.
- Design (Graphics and Videos):
Social media posts with images and graphics receive more engagement than plain text. Strategists need to be able to design and creating visual content
- Public Speaking :
Features like Facebook Live and Instagram Live are becoming more important on social platforms. They increase reach and engagement and appear higher in the news feed when live. Managers need to be confident and have public speaking skills to go live and connect with their audience.
- Customer Service and Community Engagement:
Social media platforms are a great place to provide customer service experiences. It is important for the person responding to messages to have the conversational skills and empathy to help customers and facilitate community engagement.
- Behavioural Psychology:
A strategist who understands behavioural psychology is able to decipher why social media posts do well, what attracts people to them and why do they share certain posts. Understanding the psychology behind these trends helps to create future successes.
A good strategist must be able to understand and measure social media metrics. These include comments, likes and shares as well as business metrics which include traffic, leads, conversions and revenue. The strategist must also be able to read and interpret data in order to tie the metrics together to give an overall view of the company’s social media performance against business goals.
It is important for the strategist to be able to allocate resources for paid advertising, social media management tools, designs, and images to have effective outcomes.
Do you need help with creating your social media strategy? We at The Social Expansion Project help businesses with their marketing strategies and goals. You can request for your free, no-pressure consultation here.