Are you a small business owner new to the world of online marketing? Knowing where to focus your efforts to achieve your marketing goals when you are being bombarded with so much information about social media marketing is often a struggle. Have you been advised to include Instagram in your marketing repertoire but you’re not quite sure why use Instagram at all?
Marketing experts the world over insist that Instagram is one of the best social media platforms on which to promote your brand. If you need to be convinced that Instagram is a viable marketing tool then consider the following statistics:
Who is using Instagram?
- 1 billion people use Instagram every month
- 500 million people use Instagram Stories every day
- The gender mix on Instagram is almost even but may differ by country
How are they using Instagram?
- 63% of users log in at least once a day, 42% log in multiple times a day
- Users will spend an average of 53 minutes on the platform every day
- 200 million Instagram users visit at least one business profile daily
- ⅓ of most-viewed stories are from businesses
- 62% of people say that they have become more interested in a brand or product after seeing it in stories.
- One in ten people will use the platform to shop or find new products
Why knowing Instagram demographics is important for your business
- 85% of top brands use Instagram as a marketing tool for their businesses as it boasts of the highest conversion from browser to shopper.
- Instagram’s potential advertising reach is 849.3 million users
- Brand engagement on Instagram is actually higher than Facebook and Twitter and other social media platforms.
- Instagram is second only to Facebook as the most engaged network
- Instagram is a growing platform that continues to attract more users and is an ideal space where brands are more likely to successfully interact with potential customers.
How to use Instagram demographics to improve your message
You need a strategy that will generate leads, create engagement, increase sales, and create brand loyalty. Ask yourself, whom am I targeting? What is their age, gender, geographic location, education, and income? When are they most likely to engage with my content?
Instagram users with a business account can access the analytics feature, Instagram Insights, to answer these questions.
Instagram demographics allows you to keep track of the total number of followers you have. You can also chart how many started following or unfollowed you within the previous week. Although Instagram Insights only provides data for the last 7 days, you can use third-party analytics tools to access historical insights and keep track of your profile’s trends.
Insights also lets you know the top five cities and countries your followers are from, what their age ranges are, how they are distributed by gender, and what time of the day they are usually online.
The analysis of Instagram demographics can help you as a business owner to:
- Understand who your followers are and where they are from and to examine if they are your intended target audience.
- Understand the product preferences and buying behavior of your audience
- Create appropriate and relevant strategies around content
- Design ads, position the ads, and grow the size of your audience
- Adjust your brand voice according to the way your audience communicates
- Know the right time to post in order to attain maximum organic reach and engagement rates.
- Design a relevant content plan that will boost interest and engagement.
- Adjust your marketing efforts in real-time
With more than 25 million business profiles on Instagram all competing for a piece of the pie, it is crucial for you as a small business owner or a content creator, to understand your audience targets and demographics in order to expand your social media presence, generate more leads and improve the profitability of your businesses.