Instagram is a great way to reach customers. It is important to give your posts a lot of thought as well as research all the hashtags that are relevant to you. However, it is equally important to create a business profile that works for you in order to grow your business. Small business owners should never use personal social media profiles for business as it looks unprofessional but more importantly, a business account gives you access to important features such as analytics, adding links to stories and promoting your posts.
Instagram business category
Businesses need to understand how to use the Instagram business categories feature to better showcase their products. Instagram business categories are listed under your name on Instagram, right above your Instagram bio. Just like hashtags, Instagram business categories help the right audience find you. It tells people what you do, what to expect from you and encourages prospective followers to check out your posts. Sometimes choosing the best category might be confusing if you fit into two or more different categories like a blogger who also sells crafts. So how do you decide how to pick the best business category? We propose you ask your clients how they would best describe you, think of what best describes your business. Search for all the categories that apply from the category list and find the one that best describes your business.
How Do You Add Instagram Categories To Your Account?
To start with, you need to have a specific type of Instagram account to be able to add categories. Your account has to be one of the following:
● Creator account
● Business account
Personal accounts do not allow for business categories, so it’s necessary to change the type of account that you have before you can move forward.
Start by clicking the hamburger menu on the top right-hand corner of your profile page and go to settings, click on “Account” and switch to a professional account.
Business Categories to consider
There are over 1500 business categories. You can choose only one business category, however, you can change it if you feel that it does not describe you adequately. If you are not sure where to get started, here are some popular categories to use as examples of how to improve your Instagram marketing and business profile.
● Government Organization: Even government institutions can do well to extend an additional platform for the public to engage on. If you’re in government service use this category to give people a taste of what your organization is all about.
● Clothing Store: This is one of the more popular business categories on Instagram. If you don’t sell clothes exclusively, you can also choose a category like clothing.
● Goods company: A category like this is very broad and not ideal for a small local business. Opt for office supplies or commercial equipment as a category instead.
● Medical centre: If you have a clinic or hospital, choose a category that is as specific as possible to your practice, instead of choosing a hospital, opt for
● Media website: If you have a media outlet you have the following categories to choose from- Media, Media/News Company, News & Media Website, Newspaper. Your decision will depend on whether you are a more traditional media outlet or if you have a more fun eclectic style like Buzzfeed or Vice, Media Website is a great business category to use.
● Real Estate: A search for real estate, will uncover the categories of real estate, real estate company, real estate appraiser, real estate agent, real estate service, and commercial real estate agency, so decide which describes you perfectly. Categories from similar fields include condo building, contractor, or real estate developer.
● Restaurants: There are specific Instagram business categories that will describe the type of cuisine you offer so make sure that you search for the appropriate restaurant subcategory, there’s a good chance that you’ll find one that’s perfect for you.
● Sports: there are many subcategories to choose from under sports. This hugely rich field of Instagram business categories, including fun specifics like kayak rental, go-kart track, or rock-climbing gym as well as broader categories such as sports & recreation, sports league, sports teamSports, sports & fitness instruction, sports & recreation, sports & recreation venue, sports bar, sports club, sports event, sports league, sports promoter, sports team, sportswear store etc.
Check out this list of Instagram categories to make a decision.
Instagram Categories attract your potential clients by evoking their interest. Once they know that you are listed, they will be tempted to check out your page. In return, it will bring more purchases, bookings, orders, clicks, views, and benefit your business.
Do you need help with your Instagram business account or with understanding analytics? We at The Social Expansion Project help businesses with developing a customized social media strategy to achieve their digital marketing goals. You can request for your free, no-pressure consultation here.